John R. Peace, Jr. was a lawyer and active member of the San Antonio community. Peace joined the Board of Regents of the University of Texas system in 1967 and served as the board chairman between 1971 and 1973. During his tenure, he advocated for the establishment of the University of Texas at San Antonio. Peace continued his involvement in the University after its establishment in 1969, and donated his own collection of Texana to the UTSA Library in 1973.
The collection is comprised of manuscript materials collected by John Peace, which document Texas history. The collection is divided into three series, the first two are digitized and available online. The Historical Manuscripts series is comprised of more than 350 documents--both original manuscripts and printed material--related to Texas history, concentrating on the periods before 1860: Vice-regal Mexico, Republic of Texas, U.S. annexation, and Confederate state. Materials are primarily in Spanish and English, but the series does include a small number of French and German manuscripts. The La Rebelión de Texas Collection collection series is comprised of twenty-two folders containing original documents and typescripts, as well as copies of manuscript and typescript documents related to the publication of La Rebelión de Texas. The documents consist of historical manuscripts, copies and transcriptions of original documents, dated 1825-1840.
View Digitized Content